Monday, October 24, 2011

Now Listen Here

Setting:  Caritas, Uganda, about 200 meters from the CTC.  At eleven o'clock a.m., the day is surprisingly cloudy and windy.  Our Hero has returned from a trip to Lacor, and has decided to take up Beatrice [local shopkeeper] on her offer for Acholi lessons.

Note:  All Acholi words are written phonetically.  Feel free to learn as well.

Joshua [walking up to Beatrice]:  A-foy-oh, Beatrice.  Do you remember me?
Beatrice [35 year old woman]:  Yes, yes, Joshua!
J:  I've come to learn Acholi, if it's still okay with you.
B [pulling a plastic chair from inside her shop]:  Yes, yes, okay, okay.  Nom ca-beh-roh: Please sit.
J:  I hope you don't mind, some men from the other shops followed...
[Enter seven men, ages ranging from 25 to 60]
B [going inside to get more chairs]:  Oh, no problem.
Joseph Adunga [60 year old man]:  Now, listen here young man.  What is your mission here in Gulu?
J [addressing Beatrice]:  He's asked me this already.  [Looking to Joseph Adunga]:  I'm studying dance, sir.
JA:  Eh?  Now, listen here, young man.  I am black.  You are white.  But in Uganda, the blood [points to his arm] is both red, the same.  The brain [clutching his skull] is the same.  The muscles are the same.  We are all one body, one mind.  In America, the blood is both red, the same.  The brain is the same.  The muscles are the same.  We are all one body, one mind.
Kenneth [40 year old man]:  Don't mind him, he's been drinking.  You want to speak Acholi?
J:  Yes, Kenneth.  I want to speak Acholi so I don't get cheated by the bodas or the market vendors.
B:  What would you like to say?
J:  Anything, really.  Whatever will help to make me seem like [in Father Joe's words] "a child of Uganda."
B:  Okay, okay.  To say, "Welcome," you would say, a-foy-oh bee-yoh-no.
J [slowly writing the words]: a-foy-oh bee-yoh-no.
[The other men laugh]
K:  Yes, yes.  Joshua, where do you live?
J:  Nearby.  Catechists Training Center.
JA:  You're a Catechist?
J:  No, I'm just living there.
K:  Ah, so I am a carpenter, and I build things.  If I don't have the proper tools to build, how can I get them?
JA:  So what is your mission?
J:  Um.  Can't you get tools from a shop?
JA:  Now, listen here, young man.  I am black.  You are white.  But in Uganda, the blood is both red, the same.  The brain is the same.  The muscles are the same.  We are all one body, one mind.  In America, the blood is both red, the same.  The brain is the same.  The muscles are the same.  We are all one body, one mind.
B:  Eh, leave him alone.  Joshua, to say -
K:  - Joshua, my brother - will you allow me to call you that? - to say "my brother," you say oh-meh-rah.
J [writing again]: Oh-meh-rah.  My brother.
[The other men laugh]
JA:  Now, listen here, young man.  Uganda's language is from the British.  I understand what you are saying, you understand what I am saying.  We are all body, one mind.  I am black.  You are white.  But in Uganda -
K:  - Ah, don't listen to him, Joshua.  He's been drinking.
JA:  Now, listen here, young man.  I have so much money [pulling a roll of bills from his shirt pocket], and I can do with it what I please.  Like this [hands one to Beatrice, who rolls her eyes and goes into her shop].
K:  Joshua, do you have a lot of money?  Can I ask you for 1,000 shillings|36 cents for the information you are writing?
J:  Me?  Oh, no, I don't have much money.  I have little, and I have to divide it for my travels...
B [returning with what looks like an IV bag, and hands it to Joseph Adunga]:  Eh, leave him alone.  Joshua, if you want to say - 
JA [ripping open plastic bag with his teeth, and doesn't notice the clear liquid spilling onto his pants]:  - Now, listen here, young man.  Where are you from?
J:  Chicago, sir.  United States.  Um, is that water?
JA:  No.  It is drink [holds up the bag to Joshua].
J [leaning forward, reading the front of the bag]:  Drink Dance?  40% by volume?  Is this... gin? [turns to Beatrice]
B [nods, pulls down the side of her shirt closest to Joshua, and begins breast feeding an infant who has materialized from seemingly nowhere]:  Yes, gin.  Do you take alcohol?
J [suddenly paying attention to something in the horizon]:  Oh.  Yes, I take.
K:  He's been drinking since the morning.  If you want to say "Where do you come from?" you say, In a kee kweh-neh?  And to answer "I come from..." you say, Ahm kee...
J:  So I would say, Ahm kee Chicago?
[The other men laugh]
B [nodding, still with baby on breast]:  Yes, yes!  See?  Acholi is easy.
JA:  Now, listen here, young man.  If you are not a Catechist, what is your purpose?
J [addressing Beatrice's forehead]:  He keeps asking that.  Am I not answering it correctly?
B:  No, he is just drinking too much.
JA:  Now, listen here, young man.  Do you want a drink?  Have a drink.
J:  Oh, no no no no no.  It's not even lunch yet...  And I'm going to dance this afternoon.
JA:  Eh?  Dance?  Why is a Catechist learning to dance?  What is your purpose?
K:  Eh, sorry, brother.  He drinks too much.  So if I want 1,000 shillings -
B [jerking, dislodging the baby]:  - Eh!  Leave him alone!
JA:  Now, listen here, young man.  I don't know your mission, and I don't care.  I just care about your money.  Don't let any of these strangers walk you home.  There are many people who drink here, young persons who drink and steal.  Don't trust them.  You heed my word, and you will make it through Uganda.  If you refuse my word, the windows to your room will be broken, and all of your money and belongings will be stolen.  I must leave now [walks to the bar, dropping behind his empty gin bag].
B [addressing Joshua]:  Don't listen to him.  He's trying to scare you.
K:  My brother, can I have 1,000 shillings?
J [leaning over, putting the notebook and pen back into his bag]:  I think I have to go now...  It's getting close to lunch time...
B [turning so that both baby and breast are inches from Joshua's face]:  Will you be back tomorrow?


[Young Man]

No comments:

Post a Comment