Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cut You

At la Marshall, where considerably loud music is always played.

Tony:  Joshua, you must be careful when you go wait for your bus stop tonight.
Joshua:  Why, Tony?
T:  I was attacked yesterday.
J:  WHAT?
T:  I was attacked last night.
J:  Good god.  What happened?
T:  I was just waiting for the bus outside, when two or three men came to me.  They were locals; I've seen them around before, but I always knew they were up to no good.  But one comes towards me and goes to grab my bag...

[music grows louder]

J:  Oh...  What they take?
T [can't hear over the music]: HUH?
J:  WHAT DID THEY TAKE?

[music grows louder]

T:  They didn't take anything.  I just fwap [blocks his chest with a knife hand block] like it was instinct.  And then I pivot-
J [can't hear over the music]: -You WHAT?
T:  I pivot.  Like Agosto teaches us to do for ochos.  I pivot, then I ran.  Luckily a bus was coming, so I ran in front of the bus and kept going down the street.  While the men were waiting for the bus to pass, I was already three blocks away.
J:  Oh.  Wow.  Tango saved your life.
T:  Yes, Agosto would get a kick out of that.  And this happened at 10 o'clock at night.  You would think it would happen much later, when less people are around.

[music grows louder]

J:  This was after tango last night?
T [can't hear over music]:  This was WHAT?
J:  AFTER TANGO LAST NIGHT?
T:  Yes, after our class.  What time did you catch the bus?
J:  Maybe 2 in the morning, like usual.
T:  Good thing you weren't attacked like I was.
J:  Yeah, but only because the police were driving up and down the alley every five minutes.
T:  Lucky for you.

[music grows louder]

J:  Yeah...  But trust me, I do get paranoid.  Sometimes a group of people would pass and I debate on whether or not I should get my knife out.
T [can't hear over music]:  You debate WHAT?
J: I DEBATE ON-
T:  WHAT?!?!
J [yelling]:  I DEBATE ON WHETHER OR NOT I SHOULD-

[music abruptly stops]

J [yelling]:  -GET MY KNIFE OUT.

[Tango dancers and people at tables turn to stare at the yelling American.]

J:  How many people do you think speak English here?
T:  Oh, all of them.
J:  Oh, good.


[Knife Wielder?]

No comments:

Post a Comment